In order to start up one's own physical or online casino in the United States, one will need to file some paperwork with the state gaming position as well as the state gaming control board in order to obtain the necessary permits. These boards are the ones that are in charge of giving out and keeping track of the licenses for gaming within a given state.
If one would like to obtain such a license, then one will need to fill out one's application and provide information about the size, scope, and purpose of one's casino or gaming business. Here are some additional tips to make the process of obtaining a gaming license easier and more efficient.
Steps for Obtaining a Gaming License
1. First of all, it is necessary to figure out the kind of gaming license one will need. This may vary depending on whether one is interested in setting up a physical or online casino, or both.
Generally, though, there are two main kinds of licenses: restricted licenses and non-restricted ones. Restricted licenses mean only 15 or so gaming devices can be set up, while non-restricted licenses allow for more than 15 devices to be used.
2. Obtain the necessary forms for the appropriate kind of license. These can often be downloaded directly from the gaming commission website within the state. Alternatively, they can also be obtained in person at the state offices.
The forms need to be filled out and the required information needs to be filled out. There will be more required information for non-restricted license applications than for restricted licenses.
3. Some additional forms that may be required include forms describing one's personal history, personal finances, fingerprints, disclosure affidavits, information release requests, and other information related to landlords or property deeds.
Depending on the specific kind of business, additional information may be required. For example, people planning on setting up online casinos may need to provide proof of the security measures they will have in place to make sure the personal information of customers is not compromised or shared with other individuals.
4. All of the relevant information will need to be filed in person with the closest gaming commission or gaming control board. Each state will have its board locations either in capital cities or in the largest cities within the state, and there are often deadlines that will need to be met.
Tax Form Filings
5. Finally, when applying, be sure to request all of the tax forms that will be necessary for obtaining and maintaining the license. Generally, most states require every business that has a gaming license to pay taxes for existing.
This may include a monthly report of gross revenue that must be filed with the state, a tax report for live entertainment, one for slot machine vouchers, a general fiscal year report, a report detailing quarterly fees that were paid, and finally, a state report that varies with the games operated.
The deadlines for these form filings will generally be available at the website for the state gaming commission and gaming control board.